Carer payments

If you are a carer you may be able to get financial help from the Australian Government, depending on how much care you provide.

Carer Payment
This is income support if you can’t work because you care for someone.

You might be able to get this payment if you provide constant care in a private home for someone with a severe disability or severe medical condition or who is frail and elderly, and if you aren’t away from them for more than 25 hours a week to work.

Carer Allowance
This is an income supplement for carers or parents who provide daily care for an adult or dependent child or children.

You may be able to get this payment if you care for someone with disability or a medical condition, or a frail older person, and if you also work or study.

Carer Supplement
This is a yearly payment to help with the cost of caring for a person.

You might be able to get this payment if you get a Carer Payment or a Carer Allowance.

Are you over 65?
Older carers may be able to get a Carer Payment, Carer Allowance or Carer Supplement. But you may need to choose between a Carer Payment and an Age Pension.

To help you decide, visit the Australian Government Services Australia website.

Who this service is for


How this service is delivered

  • Call or visit us online

    See our website or contact us for more information

Updated: 12/12/2023

Provided by