English as an Additional Language Support
The Department of Education supports all culturally and linguistically diverse English language learners and their families to succeed as connected, resilient, creative and curious thinkers and members of the Tasmanian Government school community.
The English as an Additional Language (EAL) team works with schools to:
- strengthen and promote quality teaching and learning practices to ensure that all English language learners in Tasmanian schools have the opportunity to access, participate and engage, achieving high level outcomes across the curriculum
- establish links between home and school for EAL students and families
- support the health and wellbeing of all EAL students by fostering cultural responsiveness amongst staff, students and the school community to ensure that all EAL students feel safe and valued and engaged in learning.
Who this service is for
EAL learners supported by the Program are students who were born overseas or in Australia, enrolled in Department of Education schools and colleges who:
- have had little or no previous formal schooling in any country, or severely interrupted education in their first language
- begin school with limited or no exposure to English
- attended schooling outside of Australia which is equivalent to that of their peers.
How this service is delivered
The EAL team works with schools to support EAL learners.
Call or visit us online
Contact us or see our website for more information.
More programs from Department of Education
Launching into Learning
Launching into Learning is a free program where you and your child can get to know your local school, Child and Family Centre and other families.
Early Childhood Intervention Service
We support children with a disability or developmental delay from birth to school entry, and their families.
Student Assistance Scheme (STAS)
When your child goes to a Tasmanian Government school you will find that there are costs that you will need to pay. If you are eligible, there are a number of financial assistance schemes available to assist you to cover costs, such as the Student Assistance Scheme (STAS).